Monday, 2 June 2008

Science in museums and museums in science (Dave Unwin)

Tell us what you thought of Dave's session. What questions did it raise for you, and how did these relate to your own practice?
Why not share your lecture notes here on the blog.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Collectively, museums have a huge impact on the endeavour that we call ‘science’. A huge amount of research is carried out both in museums, by museum staff and visitors, and also outside museums, again by museum staff, but also by those who have material on loan and by those contributing, for example, to surveys (the latter might potentially number in the millions). Museum collections also house (and critically, attempt to ensure the persistence of) the (one billion plus) objects and other materials (records, pictures, etc) that form the material basis and evidence for several key scientific disciplines – most notably taxonomy and systematics. Exhibitions and outreach places museums in the forefront of efforts concerned with education in and communication of the sciences. It is ironic, then, that at a time when the ‘science’ generated and underpinned by museums and that speaks directly to increasingly urgent needs to monitor, understand and respond to changes in the global environment (especially those for which we are directly responsible) the contribution by museums to science is increasingly under threat. There is an increasing shortfall in specialists and specialist training; resource constraints mean that more and more collections, and parts of collections, are being mothballed; and museums still largely fail to communicate the impact that they have on science. On the positive side there is a growing awareness of the importance of museums in understanding and helping to conserve biodiversity and, through initiatives such as the Darwin Centre, museums are at least trying to move toward centre-stage as showcases for science. Indeed, there has probably never been a better time for museums to gain a leading position in the conductance, explanation and promotion of science – but should they and will they take up this challenge?

Dave Unwin 10:50 am, 03/06/08

Chloe said...

This session excellent. Would it be possible to access the Powerpoint presentation?
Thank you, Chloe

Anonymous said...

This session was very good. Will it be on blackboard, as I'd like to look at it again?

Gus said...

Yes, very interesting Dave, and containing quite possibly the best quote of the Summer School so far...audio evidence to follow!

Andrea said...

This section was extremely interesting and broadened my view. I never thought that museums could play such a key role in science.

Gus said...

Unfortunately I can't upload the audio here, but audio of the lectures will shortly be available within Blackboard. Dave's quote, for the record was,

'You also notice there's a very small group called "Professors". It is a very small group, which is fortunate because generally speaking, they're a complete waste of space.....you can quote me on that'

Well Dave, I did!

Katharine Edgar said...

I notice that, being a scientist, Dave was careful to qualify his outrageous statement with 'generally speaking', which he suggests he may allow one or two exceptions. Probably only one or two, though.

Anonymous said...

I liked what you said at one point about the arts and science not being separate entities or disciplines.

Unknown said...

I am really sorry that I couldn’t go this time! I hope to attend next year.
I think this topic is really interesting. Museums related with the development of science indeed play an important role in society. Those related with natural history, such the one where I work at, have these days two urgent tasks: combating the biodiversity crisis through conservation and complete and share the information they maintain with other museums. At least, these are the most urgent challenges in my country…. I hope we all can access the sessions in Blackboard. Best regards from Ecuador

Julie said...

Excellent lecture, and nice to have some science representation at the summer school. Publications about science in museums seem to be ratehr thin on the ground, so this lecture was an excellent grounding for a fascinating subject. Now I'm wondering what the role of small museums with scientific collections can and should be. Should we simply be improving access for occasional use by researchers, or should we be doing something more proactive with these localised collections? and how? If anyone can point me in the direction of any references I'd be grateful!